Friday 9 June 2017

Angular 4 components do not load with MEAN stack

complete Angular/MEAN beginner here - sorry in advance if I have trouble understanding any of your responses. Recently, I tried creating a web application with the MEAN stack and I used the angular-cli to create a basic project structure (ng new appName). When running npm start (which used the angular-cli command, ng serve) without any changes to the files, everything went just fine and the default "Welcome to My App!" page rendered.

But once I created my own server.js file and changed the start script to node start.js, the <app-root></app-root> component no longer rendered. There were no errors in the console or during npm start, so I wasn't quite sure where to begin.

I checked on some forums and some users said that faulty HTML could be the reason. I replaced the entire template to simply "Testing", and yet nothing would load. Others said that I had to include the static path in my server.js file with app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'src')));, but my components still would not render. I also noticed my Typescript files were not compiling to Javascript so I took care of that issue, but no avail.

I was thinking that I may be missing something in my server.js file that imports or renders the Angular components, but I can't seem to find any discrepancies between my file and samples on Github. My server.js file is posted below and hopefully someone with more experience than me can spot out what I may be missing.

var express = require("express");
var bodyParser = require("body-parser");
var mongodb = require("mongodb");
var path = require("path");
var ObjectID = mongodb.ObjectID;

var api = require('./routes/api')

var app = express();

// Body Parser Middleware.
app.use(bodyParser.json());

app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'src')));

app.use('/api', api);

app.get('*', (req, res) => {
  res.sendFile(path.join(__dirname, 'src/index.html'));
})

// Create a database variable outside of the database connection callback to reuse the connection pool in your app.
var db;

// Connect to the database before starting the application server.
mongodb.MongoClient.connect('the mongodb url goes here, but I have left it out for obvious security reasons', function (err, database) {
  if (err) {
    console.log(err);
    process.exit(1);
  }

  // Save database object from the callback for reuse.
  db = database;
  console.log("Database connection ready");

  // Initialize the app.
  var server = app.listen(process.env.PORT || 8080, function () {
    var port = server.address().port;
    console.log("App now running on port", port);
  });
});


via Diafotismos

No comments:

Post a Comment