Saturday 6 May 2017

Using an CSV file for an online html table

I have an upcoming project working with many technologies, and I am in the beginnings of my research. I thought maybe it would be best if I got some others’ opinions on strategizing my problem.

The problem: I have a large csv (containing > 100,000 entries). I need to create an online html table from this csv file. This table needs to be searchable and sortable.

I’ve come up with two possible solutions:

1) Use a database

From what I’ve gathered, plenty of databases offer the ability to import a csv file to create a searchable data table. However, I do not know what the differences would be if I were to use a standard SQL type database (e.g. MySQL or PostgresSQL) or if I were to use a NoSQL type database like MongoDB. I am more familiar with the NoSQL like databases, (obviously, I’m not an expert in the tech; I just have a working knowledge of such databases) such as MongoDB or RethinkDB (for live data streaming).

2) Parse the csv to JSON

Parsing an csv to JSON would force me to implement code for manual searching and sorting with something like JQuery or something else. This solution does not seem inherently like a better solution than using a database.

Another facet of this problem is that csv file will be rewritten possible daily or weekly. How do I handle something like this? Would I need to drop the data from the old table in my database and then recreate a new table containing the data from the new csv?

Note I will more than likely be using NodeJS with other libraries/APIs/frameworks that go along with Fullstack JavaScript development. However, I am not opposed to using or hearing solutions from other languages/stacks.

Also, I believe my problem is dependent on the complexity of the CSV file, (something I do not know yet).

Thanks in advance for any help! It is much appreciated.



via Alexander Werner

No comments:

Post a Comment